Heavy D & The Boyz - You Ain't Heard Nuttin Yet

stenny

Break name: You Ain't Heard Nuttin Yet

Artist: Heavy D & The Boyz

Track name: You Ain't Heard Nuttin Yet (Instrumental)

Original release: 12", Heavy D & The Boyz - Somebody For Me / You Ain't Heard Nuttin Yet

Label: Uptown Records

Cat number: L33-17989

Year: 1989

A second generation break based on the classic 'think' break with a bass note on the first beat of the bar plus hi-hats layered over the top. Loads of tunes have used this but the most famous is probably Origin Unknown - Valley of the Shadows [Ram Records, 1993].

Note that this is the original source but the actual edited version (used in many old school jungle tunes) was usually sampled from a classic sample CD of the time called The X-Static Goldmine. It appears the guys who compiled the sounds for that CD are responsible for the edits, though I can't 100% confirm this yet. The same sample was also available on the cover CD that came with the first issue of Future Music magazine - their samples were usually already available on proper commercial sample CD's though.

Here is a [CLIP] of how it sounds when pitched up and reprogrammed in comparison to itself at normal speed and unedited.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 years later...

Right, so about the variants of this break sourced from this Heavy D track.

As mentioned, it's on the Future Music magazine issue #4 [Feb 93] cover CD, compiled from elsewhere as known... the magazine detail on p7-8 for it states "from the new XL1 disc produced by Polestar Magnetics, the company behind the X-static Goldmine double CD."

The Future Music CD itself can be found here https://www.electron...-rave-classics/ and appears as track 8 "XL1", which is 0:23 long, but divided into 7 sections... parts 5-7 are what we want. Here are the details.

"Breakbeat 6A" – A 'straight' version of the valley of the shadows beat, with the kick & snare followed by a single snare on beat 4.

Not to be confused with variant from Lost - The Gonzo:

Octave One - Chillin' Out ('94)

Embee - My My My

"Breakbeat 6B" valley2.wav, THINK.WAV – The classic 'valley of the shadows' beat

As heard in the Origin Unknown track and then re-used after by countless others, eg:

DJ Nut Nut - Special Dedication

Dream Team - Stamina

"Breakbeat 6C" valley1.wav – The opening kick followed by repeating ghost-notes, and then a snare on the final quaver.

This one is also used in Valley Of The Shadows, at the end of certain sections, but perhaps more clearly in:

Roni Size & DJ Die - The Calling

The 'think.wav' file came from the True Playaz website over twenty years ago, I can't remember where I got the other two files from now. Both are tuned upwards slightly from the versions on FMCD #1